Written by: Alicia

Did you know babies can get cavities? I took my son to the dentist for the first time yesterday. He is three and a half years old (I know, I procrastinated on this). The doctor checked him over and said, "His teeth look great. No cavities." I said, "No cavities?! Do kids usually have cavities this young?" He said, "I see kids at age two with cavities."

Wow. It kinda surprised me. I guess I never thought about cavities that young. I did some more researching and it appears babies from nine or ten months can be infected by cavity producing bacteria. Apparently babies that suck on a bottle all day and night have a higher risk of developing cavities. So, never leave a bottle in your baby's crib at night and once you see their first tooth, dentists suggest you start cleaning it (usually with just a finger brush or wet cloth).

I also read a disturbing fact that more and more kids are given soda starting at age two. Apparently a lot of toddlers are chewing on gummy bears and washing it down with a Coke.

My kids have food allergies so I have always been cautious about what goes into their mouths. They never drink soda and they don't eat candy. Some people have made rude comments about me not giving my kids candy; as if I am taking away part of their childhood or something. I think certain people associate kids and candy WAY too often. I feel like I am actually aiding in their development by not offering these products. Less sugar means more concentration. Less sugar also means I can go to a restaurant with 3 year old triplets and have a pleasant time.

My kids do get tons of sweets but they get them in the form of fruit. They will eat any type of fruit I put in front of them. And, they get fruit for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I put candy and fruit in front of them I am 99% positive they will choose the fruit.

Now, back to cavities. I read that diets high in sugars and carbohydrates will increase your child's risk of developing cavities. I was not surprised by sugar but how do carbohydrates harm your teeth?

Certain carbohydrates, such as breads, cereals and chips are considered to be more of a "sticky" or starchy carb and therefore are left on or in-between the teeth more frequently. Bacteria that live in the mouth digest these foods, turning them into acids. The bacteria, acid, food debris, and saliva combine to form plaque, which clings to the teeth. The acids in plaque dissolve the enamel surface of the teeth, creating holes in the teeth.

Americans eat more processed carbohydrates now more than ever before. In fact, 50 percent of their daily intake is carbohydrates. Since my kids are on a gluten-free diet they only eat "non-sticky" carbs such as rice, potatoes and oatmeal (to name a few). I didn't know this diet was also good for their teeth; just another bonus.

I have since learned that fruits, vegetables, and nuts have been shown to reduce cavities. This is partly due to the increased fiber, but is also due to xylitol, a natural substance found in fruits and vegetables. Xylitol is said to help promote healthy teeth by reducing plaque.

So there you have it. If your kids eat a lot of processed carbs, make them brush right afterwards. If you want less cavities choose to feed your kids non-sticky carbs and give them more fruits and veggies.

Happy Brushing,
Alicia

http://friendinreach.blogspot.com/

0 comments